The Housing and Planning Law currently going through parliament could have really damaging effects on the future for Gypsies and Travellers. We are collecting reactions NOW from the community to give as evidence to Parliament for the committee stage of this Bill. We have been given assurance that our Facebook page WeSTILLcount can be used as evidence please post comments there as to why this new law would affect your future. We are particularly keen to gather evidence from Travellers and Gypsies who live in houses. This law would mean children growing up in houses or permanent sites would not be recognised as needing a pitch and so their accommodation needs would be ignored. No new sites are likely to ever get built under this new bill.
We were greatly encouraged by the effectiveness of last year's fundraising appeal in February which helped considerably with covering our core costs. If you are able to support us in our future work please click here to find out more.
Our short animated film describing the steps to take to becoming self-employed, which was commissioned by and for the Gypsy and Traveller Community, is receiving a lot of welcomed positive feedback. Click on the picture to the right or go to our YouTube channel to view it. We are planning to produce two more films in this series; so watch this space!
The main aim of the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit is to support Travellers and Gypsies living in London to:
- Influence decisions affecting their lives.
- Improve their quality of life and the opportunities available to them.
- Challenge the discrimination they routinely experience.
We do this by carrying out the following programmes
- Community development on sites, particularly in relation to site provision and site management; campaigning for new sites in London by supporting housed and sited Travellers to work together, and challenge London boroughs, the GLA and the national government to respond to the identified need to increase Traveller site provision.
- Youth work programme for young Irish Travellers in North and East London. In Hackney and Haringey 4 weekly youth groups for Traveller boys and girls to increase opportunities and self confidence. Pre-vocational training for 16-19 year olds. Yearly 2 week summer programme.
- Advocacy and advice service to Gypsies and Travellers living on sites and houses in London, on accommodation, benefits and access to services.
- Learning support for Travellers in literacy, IT, employability skills and self-employment advice.
- Work with the media and Gypsies and Travellers, to challenge negative coverage and towards ensuring a fair presentation of their views.
- Strategic and policy work in partnership with agencies and Travellers on local, regional and national policies.
- Advice and information to agencies, professionals, community groups, the media and students.
- Work in partnership with Travellers and other agencies on various Borough forums and co-ordinate the London Gypsy and Traveller Forum.
- Research on a commissioned basis and routinely respond to requests by other researchers to facilitate consultation with the community.
Our latest Annual Report 2015 describes another successful year for the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit where we continued to support, empower and represent Gypsies and Travellers at all levels.
Previous Annual Reports
Many thanks to our Current Funders
BBC Children in Need
Canary Wharf Group
Garden Court Chambers
The Worshipful Company of Grocers
Hackney Learning Trust (LB Hackney)
Irish Government Emigrant Support Programme
LB Tower Hamlets
The Goldsmith's Company
The Henry Smith Charity
The Mercer’s Company
Trust House Charitable Trust
Trust for London
Wakefield Tetley Trust