The ‘No Mad Laws’ campaign was launched on 27th August to highlight the disastrous effect that the Coalition Government’s legal aid and judicial review reforms will have upon Gypsies and Travellers. Please sign the petition at http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/no-mad-laws and click here for further explanation describing the impact these reforms will have on Gypsies and Travellers specifically.
Our short animated film describing the steps to take to becoming self-employed, which was commissioned by and for the Gypsy and Traveller Community, is receiving a lot of welcomed positive feedback. Click on the picture to the right or go to our YouTube channel to view it.
We are planning to produce two more films in this series; so watch this space!
The London Gypsy and Traveller Unit supports Travellers and Gypsies living in London: to influence decisions affecting their lives; to improve their quality of life and the opportunities available to them and to challenge the discrimination they routinely experience. In partnership with the Traveller community, LGTU uses this detailed experience to contribute to the development of local, regional and national policy.
What do we do?
- Accommodation and Advocacy Advice - An advocacy and advice service to Gypsies and Travellers living on sites and in houses, on accommodation, benefits and access to services.
- Community Development - Support on sites, particularly in relation to site provision and site management, and setting up residents associations.
- Youth Programme – For young Travellers in North and East London, including group work, and courses in personal development. LGTU is NEET registered.
- Campaigning for New Sites in London - Supporting Travellers in responding to London boroughs plans and pitch proposals based on our work responding to the Mayors London Plan.
- Media Work - Promotion of positive and fair media coverage of Traveller issues. Work with the media and Gypsies and Travellers, to challenge negative coverage and promote a fair representation of their views.
- INSET Training and Services on a commisioned basis coordinated by LGTU staff and using specialist associates for local authority services and other agencies.
- Research - In relation to issues arising from work on the ground, or on a commissioned basis. Also routinely respond to requests by other researchers to facilitate consultation with the community.
- Strategy Work and Policy Development - We work to influence change in policy at a national level, regional and local level by supporting Gypsy and Traveller representations in consultations. We continue to campaign for pitch targets to be set by the London Mayor and monitor the compliance by local authorities with the government’s planning policy for Traveller sites.
- Advice and information - To agencies, professionals, community groups, the media and students. We have a number of resources available for sale.
Our latest Annual Report 2013 describes another successful year for the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit where we continued to support, empower and represent Gypsies and Travellers at all levels.